Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad, India.
Email: sparsh0mittal at gmail dot com; sparsh at iith.ac.in
Webpage of CANDLE research lab at CSE, IITH
I am no longer accepting any interns, so do not send any mail for this.
Computer architecture (CPUs and GPUs), processor architectures for machine learning, neural network accelerators, VLSI, high-performance computing, approximate computing.
Awards and Honors
1. My research has been covered by several technical news websites, e.g. Phys.org, InsideHPC 1, InsideHPC 2, InsideHPC 3, InsideHPC 4, InsideHPC 5, Primeur Magazine, StorageSearch 1, StorageSearch 2, Data-Compression.info, TechEnablement, ScientificComputing, SemiEngineering (semiconductor engineering), ReRAM forum and HPCWire 1, HPCWire 2.
2. My application for recruiting a student on Intel PhD fellowship 2018 was approved.
3. Received Distinguished Contribution rating at ORNL based on 2013-2014 performance appraisal. This rating recognizes the top 10 percent of staff.
4. Received Outstanding Contribution rating at ORNL based on 2014-2015 performance appraisal. Also received a performance award of $1000.
5. Gave an invited presentation at Memory for HPC Systems session at ISC, Germany 2016. ISC is a top conference with 3000 attendees and bi-annual Top500 list is announced here.
6. Best student paper candidate in SC 2014
7. ECpE fellowship from Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Iowa State University, USA of $2500 in 2008.
8. Peer Research Award from Iowa State University, USA of $200 in 2013.
9. Topper in Electronics batch of year 2008 in ECE department at IIT Roorkee and received Institute Silver Medal for this.
10. Institute Silver Medal for Best B.Tech project award in Electronics and Computer Engineering (ECE) Department at IIT Roorkee.
11. Sumer Chand Jain Scholarship of INR 10,000 from IIT Roorkee.
12. Best Student Award from High School (named MHS, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India) in 2004.
NVM-based Swapping Framework for Guest OSes in VMs: IEEE Access 2017
Designing SOT-RAM based GPU register file: ISVLSI 2017
Addressing read-disturbance issue in STT-RAM cache: CAL 2017 (1)
Addressing write-disturbance issue in PCM memory: CAL 2017 (2)
Improving soft-error reliability of GPU register file: VLSID 2017
Inductive charge pump for 3D stacked PCM: GLSVLSI 2017
Improving soft-error reliability of SRAM caches: GLSVLSI 2016
Application resiliency modeling and metric: SC 2014
Machine learning/deep learning
On comparison between energy efficiency of GPUs, FPGAs and CPUs
System component-level: architectural techniques for
Architectural Management Techniques For
On security techniques for:
On memory technologies:
On question answering systems (natural language processing)
See http://publicationslist.org/sparsh0mittal for full publication list and download links.
The PowerPoint slides of a few conference presentations are available here. Summaries of survey papers can be obtained by clicking on summary PPT above.
2017/04: SERB early career research (ECR) award, title: Secure and Reliable Non-volatile Memories for Ultra-low Power Applications
Open-source software released
1. DESTINY: DESTINY is an acronym for 3D design-space exploration tool for SRAM, eDRAM and non-volatile memory. DESTINY can model:
* (2D/3D) SRAM and eDRAM
* (2D/3D, SLC/MLC) STT-RAM, ReRAM and PCM
* (2D, SLC/MLC) SOT-RAM, Flash, DWM
In its purpose, DESTINY is similar to CACTI, CACTI-3DD or NVSim. Here are manual and the JLPEA 2017 journal paper. Source-code is available here. See its news coverage on ReRAM forum. Join DESTINY mailing list or see archive of previous conversations.
The proverb goes, write your own destiny. Hence, we have written our own [tool named] DESTINY. J
2. Both serial and parallel versions of code of red-black SOR (successive over-relaxation) method in three state-of-the-art languages, viz. Chapel (from Cray Inc.), D (also called dlang, from Digital Mars) and Go (also called golang, from Google) can be downloaded for academic use from this link. They were used in this paper. Chapel version of the code has been incorporated in Chapel performance test suite/examples.
* Intel India Research Colloquium 2017/10 (Bangalore)
* VelTech University, Chennai, India 2017
* PARCOMPTECH, Bangalore, India 2017 (organized by CDAC and DeitY)
* ISC Conference, Germany, 2016/06 (link)
* University of Michigan, 2015/11
* New York University 2016/02
Postdoctoral research associate at Oak Ridge National Lab, USA (2013-2016)
PhD from Iowa State University (ISU), Ames, Iowa, USA (2008-2013).
BTech from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India (2004-2008).
2018-03-08: A TLC workshop on Computer Organization, held at Anurag Group of Institutions, Ghatkesar
2017-11-10: On Advanced Computer Architecture, held at MITAOE (Pune, India)
2017-08-11: A TLC workshop on Computer Architecture, held at Anurag Group of Institutions, Ghatkesar
2017-03-04: A TLC workshop on Advanced Memory System Architecture, held at IIT Hyderabad
Seminars at IITH
2017/11: Improving clarity in paper-writing (Link to video recording)
Reviewed proposals for three European research-funding agencies.
ACM: Computing Surveys (3 times), TACO (2 times), TECS (2 times)
IEEE: DATE 2018, DFT 2016, CAL (3 times), Intelligent Systems, ISVLSI, JETCAS, Trans. on Computers (2 times), Trans. On VLSI Systems, TCAD (2 times), DFT, HiPC student research symposium
Springer: Cluster Computing, J. of Supercomputing, Springer book High Performance Computing in Power and Energy Systems
Elsevier: a book
IET CDT, MDPI Sustainability, Concurrency and Computation (2 times)
2018 Spring: Advanced computer architecture
2017 Fall: CS2323 (Computer Architecture)
2017 Spring: CS5360 Advanced computer architecture and CS3523 Operating system (with S. Peri)
2016 Fall: CS2323 Computer Architecture (with A. Franklin) and CS5410 Advanced memory system architecture
Rujia Wang, University of Pittsburgh, USA 2016/05-2016/07
Seonglyong Gong, University of Texas, Austin, USA, 2016/05-2016/08
Matthew (Matt) Poremba, Penn State University, USA, 2014/06-2014/09
Sai Susmita (NIT, Trichy), Madhuri Gupta (NIT, Sikkim), Alina Bhutia (NIT, Sikkim), Suparno Ghoshal (Heritage Inst of Tech.)
Programming Languages/tools: C, C++, CUDA, Go (from Google), X10 (from IBM), Matlab, Simulink, System Generator (Xilinx), python, LaTeX, Gnuplot.
Architectural Simulators: Simplescalar, GEMS, Gem5, Sniper, MARSS, GPGPUSim.
E-621, IIT Hyderabad, Kandi,
Hyderabad, India, 502258