CS3010 Introduction to Databases
CS3010 provides a basic introduction to relational database management systems (DBMSs).
The course is designed to provide you with both an external and an internal view of relational DBMSs.
Topics related to the external view will allow you to use a relational DBMS. Topics related to the internal
view have been selected to give you an understanding of the fundamental database concepts and implementation
techniques that are used in relational database engines. The course will cover the following topics:
- Purpose and evolution of database management systems
- Relational data model and relational algebra
- SQL (Structured Query Language)
- Database applications
- Database design and normal forms
- Storage structures and indexing
- Query processing
- Transaction management
- Concurrency control
- Optional topics based on class interest
Teaching Staff and Office Hours
Instructor: Manish Singh, msingh [at] iith.ac.in
Office Hours: Tuesday 10:30 -- 11:30 am.
- Nagendra Kumar (cs14resch11005 [at] iith.ac.in)
- Pragati Srivastava (cs14resch11007 [at] iith.ac.in)
- Shiraj Arora (cs14resch11010 [at] iith.ac.in)
- Charania Navroz Firoz (cs14mtech11003 [at] iith.ac.in)
- Neelesh Dewangan (cs14mtech11009 [at] iith.ac.in)
- Suryabhan Rathaur (cs14mtech11015 [at] iith.ac.in)
Lectures are in LH1 on Tuesday 8:30 – 10:00 am and Thursday 5:30 – 7:00 pm. All course materials will be
posted in Moodle.
The official DBMS lab hours is on Friday between 2:30 – 5:30 pm. However, the lab is not
an in-class lab (attendance is not compulsory).
You can do the assignments at your convenient time and TAs would do the evaluation offline.
- Database Systems Concepts, A. Silberschatz, H. Korth and S. Sudarshan, McGraw Hill, 6th edition (primary textbook)
- Introduction to Database Systems, R. Ramakrishnan and J. Gehrke, 3rd edition
- Fundamentals of Database Systems, R. Elmasri and S. B. Navathe, Addison Wesley, 6th edition
- Database Systems: The Complete Book, H. Garcia-Molina, J. Ullman and J. Widom, 2nd edition