Course page for MA5010 - Combinatorics and Graph Theory
Back to my homepage
Topics to be covered (Approx):
Basic counting, binomial and multinomial coefficients, bijections, inclusion-exclusion, pigeon-hole principle,
double counting, recursion and generating functions, asymptotic notation, partial-orders, combinatorics of groups etc.
Basics of graphs, trees, matchings and Hall's theorem, extremal problems, planar graphs, graph coloring.
Click here for pdf of Syllabus and References.
1. Combinatorial Techniques by Sharad Sane
2. The section on counting from
Lecture Notes on Mathematics for Computer Science
by Eric Lehman, Thomson Leighton and Albert Meyer
3. Graph Theory by Douglas West
4. Any book on discrete mathematics; for example the one by Norman L. Briggs or the one by Kenneth Rosen or the one by Lovasz.
4. A path to combinatorics for undergraduates by Andreescu and Feng
Division of credit:
Attendance + Quizzes: 20%
Mid-sem Exam: 30%
End-sem Exam: 35%